As the weather warms up it gets more and more difficult to keep both natural and relaxed hair perfectly straightened. Sometimes we as women get bored with our every day look and need to change it up. Whether you braid it up, weave it up, whatever. Protective styling is a must for the Spring season and this upcoming Summer as well. Your hair grows faster when you are not picking with it every day. The stress of straightening, or coloring, or blow drying or, even regular styles for the day can be a lot on your hair. Before you know it you are bored and your hair is broken off. As long as you’re keeping your scalp clean and moisturized during a protective style for however long by the time you take it down or out you should be able to notice some growth in your hair. We women like to change it up quite a bit. You may have a set or “go to” protective style, but it’s always good to expand your horizons. To help show you more ideas for protective styling for this coming Spring here is Tenekeyia’s Top Ten List!
10. Coming in last but certainly not least are the beautiful tick box braids! Tick box braids are a beautiful way to preserve your hair while it is been recovering from the damages. We suggest to use marley hair that way your hair won’t be able to suffer from the external influences.
9. Micro manage your hair with none other than micro braids. For almost every hairstyle you can use hair extensions in order to preserve your natural hair, so if you want to get a little longer and fuller micro braids, don’t hesitate to use that. Micros can be done with straight hair or wet and wavy hair. There are many options to look into.
8. The straight and slicked down look is always a go to. Try a sleek pony tail or bun. Extensions or add ons can easily be accessed at your local beauty supply store. However, you don’t need extensions, you only really need one sock and gel to smooth the hair. It is easy daily protective hairstyle, that you can remove when ever you want, and don’t really need to put too much effort on.
7. Small braids or singles have been a go to for years. They are slightly bigger than micros other than that they look generally the same and have the same installation process. This style however takes less time than micro braids.
6. Faux locks are currently really hot on the scene. With the use of marley hair this style can be created for those who love the look that dreads have without the commitment that dreads have. You have all the perks of dreads in a temporary style. You can make them curly or wear them straight and they look very natural.
5. Senegalese twists are also really hot on the scene. They come in many sizes like their counterpart Kinky twists they can be made curly or worn straight. The size of the twists is also able to be changed.
4. I know you all remember Janet Jackson in Poetic Justice! Poetic Justice braids or jumbo box braids are in again. With braids and twists there are infinite ways to style them.
3. Cornrows, goddess braids or straight backs can be fun and they keep your scalp out in the open. They make it easy to keep your scalp both clean and moisturized. You can use your own hair or weave, and they can be styled or designed in a number of ways.
2. Yarn Dreads are a must. Similar to faux locks and can be styled just the same but of course are made out of yarn. This allows a variety of unnatural colors you may not necessarily find in marley hair. This is by far one of the cheapest but cutest protective styles around right now because yarn is so cheap.
1. The go to since since the dawn of time is a flat twist style. Still just a popular and so easy to do really quickly and you don’t have to use any extensions whatsoever. You will look like a Greek goddess and keep your hair safe at the same time.
Expand your horizons this Spring and try out one of these protective styles!