I’ve fallen in love with mushrooms all over again! For the most part I don’t usually like the taste of mushrooms and haven’t since childhood, but my Skillet Balsamic Mushrooms and Spinach are the exception to my anti mushroom rule. Whenever I am not completely fond of the way an ingredient tastes, instead of completely avoiding it I always prepare it with an ingredient that I love to eat. This has been my secret to enjoying certain foods (especially vegetables) that normally I just wouldn’t eat.
In this case I decided to add spinach and onions to my mushrooms. Mushrooms to me taste really earthy and almost muddy (no, I haven’t actually tasted mud…lol, but you get what I mean). The spinach and onions really help to disguise this taste, and they bring their own unique flavor to the mushrooms. But the real star of the show is the Balsamic Vinaigrette. The balsamic vinaigrette adds a sweetness that pairs perfectly with the earthiness of the mushrooms. So much flavor is added to what I would otherwise call a bland dish. This is perfect as a side dish served alongside a steak or red meat of some sort. Not to mention mushrooms are a great source of vitamin B12, immune system support, and new studies suggest that mushrooms contain CLA which lessens the production of estrogen; which is especially important for women who are at risk of hormone-dependent breast cancer.
This recipe contains only 5 ingredients and can be made in 15 minutes. It’s super easy and oh so flavorful. Enjoy!
1 pound of crimini mushrooms (You don’t have to use crimini mushrooms. You can use shiitake or another kind)
1/2 of a large yellow onion, sliced
1 pound of spinach, chopped
1 clove of garlic
2 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsp of Balsamic Vinaigrette
1. In a large skillet heat 2 tbsp of olive oil over medium to high heat.
2. Add the sliced onions to the skillet and cook the onions down until they are caramelized (brown in color), about 10 minutes.
3. Add the mushrooms. Toss with the onions and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
4. Add the garlic and spinach to the skillet and toss together with the mushrooms and onions. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Pour 2 tbsp of balsamic vinaigrette into the skillet. Combine all the ingredients and continue to cook until the garlic has heated through and the spinach has wilted
6. Serve immediately. Enjoy!